Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Rental Remodel - Part I

Life is daily getting more ridiculous.

We originally signed a three year lease on our current home. That was about 21 months ago. Unfortunately, our landlord, who is also military, just got orders to Japan and has no desire to be a landlord while in a foreign country. Which is completely understandable. I guess.

Sgt Daddy and I put a lot of work into the house when we moved in, painting and updating, replacing light fixtures and all the outlets and switches. Landlord has been good about reimbursing us for the material costs but not super keen on doing upgrades he said he'd do - ie: the 1/4 remodeled kitchen that is exactly the same as it was when we moved in.

But now that he's considering selling the house (he's still telling us he hasn't completely decided to list it) he's started doing all the outstanding repairs. Like adjusting the doors so they close. And refinishing the tub. I have to take my newborn, my two cats, my dog, and our foster dog, and move out for 24 hours this Friday.

And then today I got a call from the carpet people. They have movers to help move the furniture - that should be super helpful, right? Except. They don't move the small stuff, so I have to pack up the books, knick-knacks, etc. Oh, and they won't move the boxes once they're packed because they can't see what's in them. Also I need to move the electronics. Oh, and the closets have to be cleared, but only to a four foot clearance. And also any furniture that won't fit through the doorways needs to be disassembled. 

Don't they know I have one of these?

And two of these?
 

And, oh yeah, one of these?

Sigh. This deployment hasn't even started and we're already having so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment